Thursday, February 28, 2013

Bees and trees

It's no secret that bees love trees, but did you know that they really like cypress trees? Cypress trees have natural hollow spots that make great places to build a hive. Occasionally I will find a hive in a valve box, but most times when I find one it is in the base of a cypress tree. To eliminate the hive is a pretty simple process...seal up the void an the hive will die.

The first thing I do is cut a piece of screening material to plug the void so when the bees get angry they can't come shooting out and get me. Then I take expanding foam insulation and start pumping it into the void. The foam keeps expanding and I keep filling until the entire void is sealed off. The remaining bees will fly off since they can no longer enter their old hive.





No comments:

Post a Comment